You have the honor of being asked to participate in your friend or relative’s wedding, but what exactly are your duties? Here is a handy checklist from Mister Tuxedo to help you coordinate the big event.
- Coordinates the groomsmen and ushers’ gift to the groom.
- Organizes the bachelor party for the groom.
- Makes sure that the groom’s wedding-related payments are prepared; delivers prearranged payments to officiants, assistants, musicians, and singers at the ceremony.
- Sees that the groomsmen and ushers arrive on time and are properly attired.
- Instructs the ushers in the correct seating of guests.
- Keeps the bride’s wedding ring during the ceremony.
- Witnesses the signing of the marriage certificate.
- Drives the bride and groom to the reception if there’s no hired driver; has the car ready for the couple to leave after the reception or drive them to their next destination.
- Offers a toast to the bride and groom at the reception; dances with the bride, the mothers, the maid of honor, and other single female guests.
- Gathers and takes care of the groom’s wedding clothes (returns the rental items to Mister Tuxedo on the next business day).
Groomsmen and Ushers
- Attend the bachelor party.
- Contribute to the ushers’ gift to the groom.
- Lay the aisle runner, if one is used, before the processional.
- Greet guests and escort them to their seats.
- Know the seating order; review special seating arrangements prior to the ceremony.
- Hand each guest a program.
- Remove pew ribbons, close windows, re-roll the aisle runner, retrieve any programs or articles left behind after the ceremony.
- Help guests who need directions to the reception site.
- Be on hand to assist any guests who are disabled and need assistance.
- Dance with the bride, the mothers, the bridesmaids, and other single female guests.
- Coordinate the return of rental tuxedos and shoes with the head usher or best man.